New Life, Old Life - By Phil (ex prisoner)


Hi Prison Widow UK. I found you through the google engine search.
My name is Phil and I have been a repeat offender for most of my life. I'm on the out now and have been keeping my head down. Whilst in prison I started writing to a lady who has given me a new lease of life. It's difficult to adjust; I won't tell lies; but slowly I am beginning to live.
I'm not ready quite yet to throw myself in to employment because I need to build on my confidence. When you have been locked away; sometimes for months on end in a cell on your own; your ability to interact on a normal level is a struggle.
The old life is a life that I only knew. I didn't think much of living a life on the out. I didn't know how to. The Job Centre are a bit behind the door and think I can settle in to a job with the click of their fingers and the Government are deluded thinking offenders can just walk out of prison; get a job and live happily ever after. It doesn't work that way and small minded people who think they can miraculously change a person like me overnight is deluded. I'm not a bad person; I did however make some real idiotic choices but I feel ready to conquer what fears I have. I will let you know how I get on in the free world. Many thanks and kindest regards, Phil.